Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dada


Marcel Duchamp "Fountain"
Spent the afternoon in the National Gallery. There were hundreds of teenagers around, going on end of the year tours with low supervision so the abundant security were less about me and thus allowing me the opportunity to  occasionally slip a camera out discretely.  There have been major cuts to the National Gallery, five the curators were let go and there were more cuts today. I guess Harper is unconcerned about looking like a red-neck buffoon when world leaders come to visit. Maybe Ottawa should start hosting a rodeo? Duchamp's class "Fountain" has never been a more apt comment on the state of the arts as it is now.
I took in the Caravaggio special exhibit; absolutely amazing. The light, the light, the light. The had a pleasant didactic portion where you could be photoed in costume as if in a Caravaggio painting, but the attention is on costume and not on light. I tried to situate myself as to catch a glint on my face but there is certainly not enough darkness. Fun though.

No comments: