Thursday, June 18, 2009

renew

Today we started putting shingles onto the side of the house where we tore the vinyl siding off a few weeks ago. I also went to Rona and bought the last two cans of clearance CIL paint that is the key colour to our garage and house. Margaret then read that we shouldn't use oil paint on cedar. Urgh. That's okay I guess since there is a lot of house that isn't shingles and the paint I have will get used up.
This evening there was a going away party for Seema Goel and Steve Kirkland who are moving to England where Steve is going to have a research position in mathematics, and for Rory MacDonald (pictured here with me, photo by William) who is moving to Halifax to teach as NASCAD. David Garneau and Sylvia Zeimann hosted the party at their house, super-well attended by the hip of the art scene (and I was there too).
I shot my titles for my first "Grain" film today (this was the last thing on last week's list of things to do). Once I process them, I will be ready to do the neg cut. I contacted the lab to inquire about parameters for the soundtrack and that sort of thing. I've not finished anything to film like this since the Toxic films, and the last of those was done by Rick a week before he died. I'm a bit gun shy about going to another lab, I just don't know how to establish a relationship. My films are never straight up and traditional to print, they always offer some odd challenge since I've handed the elements so roughly. I am awaiting a reply.

2 comments:

Berny Hi said...

which lab did you end up going with? did the info i sent help?
i'm curious to hear about the results.

Gerald Saul said...

I wrote an email to one lab that you suggested with some questions but they've not gotten back to me yet.