Friday, April 11, 2008

284

This evening I went to the experimental Hungarian films, curated by Christina Stojanova at the Mackenzie. Very good show. I didn't voice any questions but as I digested them on the way home, the term "experimental" came to find and I realized that, while I thought that the program broke a certain amount of conventions, they maintains aesthetics that were consistent with mainstream cinema. The feature was done without dialogue, the storytelling was certainly unorthodox, and I was repeatedly surprised but the twists and turns and choices. This fulfills most requirements for experimentation that I can think of, but it is curious that the film looks mainstream. Images are composed and edited together to maintain the continuity of a consistent reality. The camera dollies around, using techniques more familiar to Hollywood than to the avant garde. It was a funny mix.

No comments: