Tuesday, July 10, 2007

X marks the spot

Today was a boy and dad day. Margaret went up to the Mendel Art Gallery in Saskatoon with work and left me and William to fend for ourselves. The day began with a fantastic 4 dollar breakfast at the Novia. There was a bit of a chill in the air so he opted for the hot chocolate and was amused that it came in the exact same cup as my coffee. He accused me of trying to switch them (which as certainly true, but only after he gave me the idea, he's such a bad influence). We then went to the lab to finish off "Inspector Gadget versus the Zapper", as it has been hanging over my head for some time, but we did not succeed. The Mac at the next table was under repair so William spent his time "helping" me, rather than watching a show of his own. On top of that, I had some sort of glitch with my previously imported audio files resulting in my sound effects being missing and I didn't have the disc with me, so I couldn't fix it. I also spent some time beginning to figure out this new way of exporting from Avid to make dvds. It seems that you send some file or guide out of the Avid, rather than having he Avid render out the Mpeg file itself. I'm sure it will eventually work for me but I found it nontransparent today. The rest of the day was a mix of playing Hot Wheels, watching cartoons, and finally finishing sorting ALL of my computer files. I believe the document folder is now down to about 7600 files, not including photos or any media. This is compiled from four computers, each containing between 2 and 5000 files each. I should be able to re-load my office computer so that, at least at this point in time, the two main machines I use will have a common filing system and common files. This sounds dull, and it is, but it's one of those necessary steps in trying to focus on moving on with other projects.

No comments: